Bernardo Rossellino built this palazzo for Giovanni Rucellai to designs by Leon Battista Alberti. Construction began in 1455 while the Loggia was erected between 1463 and 1466.
The architectural model demands a Renaissance reading. There are three classical orders on three levels, and there are symbols and family crests which commemorate the Rucellai family, such as diamonds, feathers and sails, which can also be found in Santa Maria Novella. The loggia is also attributed to Alberti.
Today the Palazzo Rucellai houses the Alinari Museum of Photography, dedicated to the history of photography.